Dr Henry Abanda
PhD, Dipl. -Ing., PGcert (Distinction)
BSc (Hons), CEng MEEC MIET FHEA
Senior Lecturer in Construction Informatics
Renewable Energy Expert, The European Energy Centre
Oxford Institute for Sustainable Development:
Construction Project Management Group
Dr. Henry Abanda has a BSc (Hons) and Dipl.-Ing. in Mathematics/Physics and Civil Engineering respectively. After obtaining his degree in Civil Engineering in 2003, Henry worked as a Project Engineer on projects funded by the governments of Cameroon and Japan. Henry obtained his PhD from the Faculty of Technology, Design & Environment at Oxford Brookes University in the UK in 2011. His research supervisors were Prof Joseph Handibry Mbatu Tah, Prof David Duce and Dr Esra Kurul. His PhD investigated the extent to which Semantic Web technologies can be used in managing sustainable building technology knowledge for use in different building projects. As a main contribution, the study culminated in the development of a photovoltaic decision support system called PhotoVoltaic Technology Ontology System (PV-TONS). The system provides a means of designing and selecting photovoltaic systems and components for use in building projects. Henry is currently extending his PhD study to include other sustainable building technologies such as wind turbines, geothermal and combined heat and power systems.
During and after his PhD study, Henry has contributed to writing research proposals for securing research grants/funding for a number of research councils and organisations including the Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council, the International Labour Organisation, Oxford Brookes Reinvention Centre, and Persimmon Homes-UK. In addition, Henry has worked as a Chapter Science Assistant at the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change where he is contributing to the writing of the Fifth Assessment Report on climate change mitigation recently published in 2014. He has also published in prestigious journals such as Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Expert Systems with Applications, Advanced Engineering Informatics, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Information Technology in Construction and Construction in Developing Countries. Also, Henry is an editorial board member of the International Energy Journal being managed by the American Institute of Mathematical Sciences Publishing Press.
Research & Scholarship
- Feasibility of a Photovoltaic System as an Energy Source to Residential Buildings in Nigeria: A Case study of Lagos State” (Advisor) Funded by Economic Commission of West African States (ECOWAS) Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency, Grant value: €1500, duration: 6 months. (http://ecowgen.ecreee.org/index.php/ecowas-research-grant-program-five-research-proposals-to-receive-funding-2/)
- Development of an Intelligent Ontology Construction Cost Estimation System (Principal Investigator, co-funded by Ecole Nationale d'Ingénieurs de Tarbes, Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, France and the Oxford Brookes University Central Research Fund), Grant value £3032
- Modelling household occupants’ behaviour using emerging Building Information Modelling (BIM) (Principal Investigator, Santander Research Grant – Scholarship). This research is being conducted in collaboration with Professor Luisa Cabeza of the Universidad de Lleida. Grant value £1860
Completed funded projects
- Green Jobs Creation Through Sustainable Refurbishment in Developing Countries (Co-investigator, International Labour Office funded); Grant value £10k, November 2007 – March 2008.
- Research-based learning for undergraduate students (Principal investigator, Oxford Brookes Reinvention Centre funded); Grant value £750
- Review of Design and Engineering Buildings (Princiapal investigator, funded by Raintree Publishers Oxford, United Kingdom), Grant value £100.
Research and Teaching Interests
Henry’s research interest is in the applications of emerging Building Information Modelling, Semantic Web and Linked Data technologies in managing knowledge in the Sustainable Building domain.
In addition to contributing to teaching other modules, Henry is the leader of the following modules:
- P33509 Advanced Construction Technology and BIM
- P33510 BIM in Practice
- P33521 Project Management and the Law
- U33510 Construction Communication and Information Technology 1 (Computer-Aided-Design)
- U33528 Construction Communication and Information Technology 2 (Building Information Modelling)
Research Degree Supervision
Current PhD supervision
Karim Farghaly Ibrahim (2016- ) Building Information Modelling – Big Data for facilities management
Zainab Shamsiya Usman (2015- ) Using Semantic Web technology to recommend sustainable building technology products
Sheikh Ali Sh Said (2015- ) An investigation into the use of emerging Building Information Modelling in modelling mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) services in buildings.
Completed MSc supervision
- Kennedy Kogo (2015-2016) An investigation into the use of common data environments for construction management
- Musa Adamu Musa (2015-2016) An investigation into 4D Project planning risk management using Emerging Building Information Modelling
- Alaa Karrar (2015-2016) Building Information Modelling adoption strategies: SMEs perspectives
- Hani Al Idilbi Alwan (2014-2015) An investigation into the potential of BIM for clash detection in buildings
- Katie Cross (2013-2015, part-time): Enhancing sustainability in the construction industry through Building Information Modelling: The case of Abu Dhabi.
- Djibril Djawara (2013-2014, full-time): Building Information Modelling for sustainable building performance assessment
Completed BSc supervision
- George Swann (2015-2016) Can listed residential buildings be energy efficient?
- Alasdair Easton (2015-2016) A framework for resolving clashes using emerging BIM
- Mairead O'Connell (2015-2016) An analysis of the economic impact of Crossrail on property prices in the rural town of Maidenhead
- Louis Byers (2014-2015): Modelling the energy efficiency of small scale construction using Green Building Studio (GBS)-A case study
- Joe Sturla (2014-2015) How partnering can improve the collaboration between main contractors and sub-contractors
- Callum Thorner (2014-2015) An investigation into the improvement of behavioural and cultural barriers in construction using Building Information Modelling
- Sean Thornton (2014-2015) Key performance indicators of prefabricated buildings
- Ben Worley (2014-2015) An investigation into the capabilities and readiness of UK main contractors in adopting BIM in Commercial fit-out market
- Alaa Tarik Naqadi (2013-2014) Challenges faced by women in the Saudi Arabia construction industry
- Hei Man Lai (2013-2014) An investigation into the extent to which CIC BIM protocol has allayed concerns regarding legal issues surrounding BIM adoption in the UK construction industry
- William James Harris (2013-2014) Construction company failure: An analysis of critical bankruptcy factors and potential mitigation options
- Josh Pickering (2013-2014) An enquiry into causes, extents and relationships between delays and cost-overruns in construction projects
- Samuel David Winter (2013-2014) Cost implications of innovative offsite manufacturing
- Abdifatah Ahmed (2013-2014) Impacts of BIM on design and build project procurement
- Harry Drury (2013-2014) Could an increase in green design such as green roof systems encourage a more sustainable lifestyle to the user and the surrounding community in urban areas of the UK?
- Saba D, Laallam F. Z., Belmili H., Abanda F.H. and Bouraiou A. (2016) Development of an ontology-based generic optimization tool for the design of hybrid energy systems. International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology (in press)
- Oti A. H., Tizani W., Abanda F. H., Jaly-Zada A. and Tah J. H. M. (2016) Structural sustainability appraisal in BIM. Automation in Construction, Vol. 69, pp. 44-68.
- Abanda F.H. and Byers L. (2016) An investigation of the impact of building orientation on energy consumption in a domestic building using emerging BIM (Building Information Modelling). Journal of Energy, Vol. 97, pp. 517-527.
- Kamsu-Foguem B. and Abanda F.H. (2015) Experience Modeling with graphs encoded knowledge for construction industry. Computers in Industry. Vol. 70, pp. 79-88.
- Wong Z., Abanda F.H. and Holt G.D. (2015) Retrofit and carbon reduction cost analysis of a circa 1930 UK dwelling. Journal of Multidisciplinary Engineering Science and Technology, Vol. 2 (11), pp. 3141-3148.
- Abanda F.H., Manjia M.B., Cole E. and Mempouo B. (2015) The potential of efficient improved mud-brick cookstove in Cameroon: An exploratory study. Environmental Management and Sustainable Development, Vol. 4 (1), pp. 106-119.
- Manjia M.B., Abanda F.H. and Pettang C. (2015) Household energy appliances in Cameroon. Environmental Management and Sustainable Development, Vol. 4 (1), pp. 73-84.
- Abanda F.H., Manjia M.B., Pettang C., Tah J.H.M. and Nkeng G.E. (2014) Building Information Modelling in Cameroon: Overcoming Existing Challenges. The International Journal of 3-D Information Modeling (IJ3DIM).
- Abanda F.H., Nkeng G.E., Tah, J.H.M., Ohandja E.N.F. and Manjia M.B. (2014) Embodied energy and CO2 analyses of mud-brick and cement-block houses. AIMS Energy Journal, Vol. 2 (1), pp.18-40.
- Makashini L., Ng’ombe A., Abanda H., Malama A. and Mudenda P. (2014) Household lifestyle, energy related practices and perceptions of energy efficiency: Evidence from Kitwe, Zambia. AIMS Energy,Vol. Vol. 2(3),pp. 276 – 294.
- Malama A., Mudenda P., Ng’ombe A., Makashini L. and Abanda H. (2014) The Effects of the introduction of prepayment meters on the energy usage behaviour of different housing consumer groups in Kitwe, Zambia. AIMS Energy, Vol. 2(3), pp. 237 – 259.
- Abanda, F. H., Tah, J. H. M. and Keivani, R. (2013) Trends in built environment semantic Web applications: Where are we today? Expert Systems With Applications, Vol. 40 (14), pp. 5563-5577.
- Abanda, F.H., Tah, J.H.M. and Duce, D. (2013) PV-TONS: A photovoltaic technology ontology system for the design of PV-systems. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 26 (4), pp.1399–1412.
- Abanda, F.H., Tah, J.H.M. and Cheung, F.K.T. (2013) Mathematical modelling of embodied energy, greenhouse gases, waste, time–cost parameters of building projects: A review. Building and Environment, Vol. 59, pp. 23–37.
- Abanda, F.H. (2012) Renewable energy sources in Cameroon: Potentials and challenges. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 16(7), pp. 4557-4562.
- Abanda, F. H., Ng’ombe, A., Tah, J. H. M. and Keivani, R. (2011) An ontology-driven decision support system for land delivery in Zambia. Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 38 (9), pp. 10896-10905.
- Abanda, F. H., Tah, J.H.M, Manjia, M. and Pettang, C. (2011) An ontology-driven house-building labour cost estimation in Cameroon. Journal of Information Technology in Construction, Vol. 16, pp. 617-634.
- Abanda, H., Ng’ombe, A., Tah, J. H. M. and Keivani, R. (2012) The link between renewable energy production and Gross Domestic Product in Africa: A comparative study between 1980-2008. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 16 (4), pp. 2147-2153.
- Tah, J.H.M and Abanda, F.H. (2011) Sustainable building technology knowledge representation: Using Semantic Web techniques. Journal of Advanced Engineering Informatics, Vol. 25 (3), pp. 547-558.
- Manjia, M.B., Pettang, C. and Abanda, F.H. (2011) Urban Self-Building Labour Cost Modelling in Cameroon. Journal of Construction in Developing Countries, Vol. 16 (2), pp. 69-90.
Conference and Poster Publications
- Musa A.M., Abanda F.H., Oti A.H., Tah J.H.M. and Boton C. (2016) The potential of 4D modelling software systems for risk management in construction projects. 20th CIB World Building Congress 2016, May 30 – June 3, Tampere, Finland.
- Enongene K. E., Murray P., Holland J., Abanda F.H. and Manjia M.B. (2016) Patterns in the use of domestic energy appliances in Cameroon. Proceedings of SBE16 Dubai, 17-19 January 2016, Dubai-UAE.
- Musa A.M., Abanda H. and Oti H. (2015) Assessment of BIM for managing scheduling risks in construction project management. CIB W78 conference, 27-29 October, 2015, Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
- Abanda F.H. and Cabeza L.F. (2015) Investigating occupants’ behaviour using emerging Building Information Modelling. In the proceedings of the ICSC15 - The CSCE International Construction Specialty Conference, Vancouver, Canada, June 7 - 10, 2015.
- Naqadi A. and Abanda H. (2015) Women in Saudi Arabia construction industry: Motivations, barriers and erceptions. Construction in the 21st Century, Changing the Field: Recent Developments for the Future of Engineering and Construction. May 27-30, 2015 Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Abanda H and Tah J.H.M. (2014) Free and open source Building Information Modelling for developing countries. ICT for Africa 2014 Conference, October 1-4, 2014 Yaoundé, Cameroon.
- Manjia M.B., Abanda F.H. and Pettang C. (2014) Using Markov decision process for construction site management in Cameroon. In: the Proceedings of IFIP WG8.3 and AIS SIG DSS (“DSS 2.0 – Supporting decision making with new technologies”) Conference, 2-5 June 2014, France.
- Abanda, F.H., Zhou, W., Tah, J. H. M. and Cheung, F. (2013) Exploring the relationships between linked open data and building information modelling (BIM). Sustainable Building and Construction Conference, 3-5 July 2013 Coventry University UK.
- Kurul, E., Abanda F.H., Tah, J.H.M. and Cheung, F. (2013) Rethinking the build process for BIM adoption. CIB World Building Congress Construction and Society, 5-9 May 2013, Australia.
- Abanda H. and Tah J.H. (2012) Linked Data in renewable energy domain In: 6th International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software (iEMSs), 1–5 July 2012, Leipzig, Germany.
- Abanda, H., Tah, J.H.M., Cheung, F. and Zhou, W. (2010) Measuring the Embodied Energy, Waste and CO2 Emissions from Construction Activity: An Overview. In: The Proceedings of the International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering 2010, June 30-July 2, The University of Nottingham, UK, pp. 361-366.
- Tah, J.H.M., Zhou, W., Abanda, F.H. and Cheung, F.K.T (2010) Towards a holistic modelling framework for embodied carbon and waste in the building lifecycle. In: The Proceedings of the International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering 2010, June 30-July 2, The University of Nottingham, UK, pp. 82-87.
- Abanda, H., J.H.M. Tah, Chrispin Pettang, Manjia, M.B. and Sambo, K. (2010) An ontology-driven approach to labour cost estimation: The case of house-building projects in Cameroon. In: The Proceedings of the International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering 2010, June 30-July 2, The University of Nottingham, UK, pp. 225-231.
- Abanda, F.H., Tah, J., Kurul, E. and Duce, D. (2009) Exploring the use of protégé in representing knowledge on sustainable building technologies. In: Ahmed, V. et al. (Ed) Procs 9th International Postgraduate Research Conference (IPGRC), 29-30th 2009, Salford Quays, Greater Manchester, UK, pp. 449-460.
- Tah, J.H.M. and Abanda, F.H. (2009) Exploring the use of Semantic Web techniques for representing knowledge about sustainable building technologies. In: The Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC-V) Collaboration and Integration in Engineering, Management and Technology, May 20-22, 2009, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Abanda, F.H. (2009) Sustainable building technology ontology. In: The Proceedings of the 11th International Protégé Conference, June 23-26, 2009 - Netherlands, pp.15.
- Abanda, F.H. and Tah, H.M. (2008) Sustainable building technology ontology. In: Dainty, A(Ed) Procs 24th Annual ARCOM Conference, 1-3 September 2008, Cardiff, UK, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, pp. 677-686.
- Abanda, F.H. and Tah, H.M. (2007) Towards the Development of a Knowledge-Repository of Emerging Innovations for Sustainable Housing Development, In: Proceedings of the 6th International Postgraduate Research Conference, University of Salford, pp. 345-353.
- Charly, Y., Tonye, E. and Abanda, F.H. (2010) Vers la mise en oeuvre d’un outil d’aide de la maitrise du trait de côte littoral camerounaise. In: The Proceedings of the International Conference on ICT for Africa 2010, March 25-28th, Yaoundé, Cameroon, pp. 224-229.
- Manjia, M.B., Pettang, C. and Abanda, F.H. (2010) L’approche matricielle pour l’estimation du cout de la main d’oeuvre dans le chantier de construction camerounais. In: The Proceedings of the International Conference on ICT for Africa 2010, March 25-28th, Yaoundé, Cameroon, pp.190-198.
- Abanda F.H. and Tah J.H.M. (forthcoming) Internet of Things for urban sustainability. In CIB TG90 Information Integration in Construction.
- FH Abanda, AH Oti and JHM Tah (2015) Digitizing the assessment of embodied energy and carbon footprint of buildings using emerging Building Information Modelling. Taylor and Francis, CRC Press
- Abanda F.H., Tah J.H.M. and Elambo G.K. (2014) Earth-block versus sandcrete block houses: Embodied energy and CO2 assessment. WoodHead Publishing, UK.
- Argüello, M., Abusa, M.M, Fernandez, M.J., Brookes, V. and Abanda, F.H. (2007) A Web services-based annotation application for semantic annotation of highly specialised documents about the field of Marketing. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 4803/2007, pp.1135-1152.
Active roles in different organisations
- An Academic Assessor , Chevening Scholarships, the Association of Commonwealth Universities
- An assessor at the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), UK
- A member of the (CIB) Task Group 90 Information Integration in Construction
- A member of the CIB Task Group TG93– Building Zero Energy Settlements
- A member of the Faculty of Technology, Design and Environment Athena SWAN self-assessment team
- A member of the Equality Challenge Unit self-assessment team, Oxford Brookes University
- A lead coordinator of Oxford Brookes Africa Business Forum
- Steering committee member of the Oxford BIM Regions
International conference roles
- Programme Committee Member for the International Conference on Decision support Systems, 2-5 June 2014, Paris, France
- Session Chair IFIP WG8.3 and AIS SIG DSS
- Session Chair of the ICKEOE 2015: XIII International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Ontological Engineering, January 19-20, London, UK
- Involved in the organization of the International Conference on Engineering, Applied Science and System Modeling, ICEASSM 2017, Ghana, April 19 - 21, 2017
Keynote addresses and lectures
- Research seminar, “Emerging BIM and ICT for building energy efficiency”, 3 September 2015, Universitat de Lleida, Spain
- Guest lecture for civil engineering students at Institut universitaire de technologie de Tarbes, France on emerging BIM, 16 December 2014
- Seminar on BIM to researchers in the Laboratoire de Génie Production, Ecole Nationale d'Ingénieurs de Tarbes, Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, France, 18 December 2014
- Guest lecture on applied quantitative research methods for postgraduate students on Development and Emergency Practice (DEP) programme, School of Architecture Oxford Brookes University, UK, 24 April 2014
- Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
- Member of the Association of Researchers in Construction Management
- Member of the European Energy Centre (MEEC)
Reviewer roles: conferences, journals and others
- Reviewer of The 51st Associated School of Construction (ASC) International Conference to be hosted by Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas April 22-25, 2015
- Journal of Cleaner Production
- Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews
- Shortlisted for Student-Led Brookes Teaching Awards for 2015; voted by students
- School of the Built Environment Scholarship for 2009 (one year PhD fee waived)