Dr Franco Cheung
BSc, PhD, MRICS, MHKIS
Senior Lecturer, Research Associate - OISD: RELP
Franco Cheung is a Senior Lecturer at the School of the Built Environment, Oxford Brookes University. Coming from the professional quantity surveying background, he specialises in cost modelling and forecasting techniques. His recent research areas include risk analysis, building information modelling and carbon footprint. His research studies have been published in leading refereed journals in the field of construction management. He was a co-investigator in the TSB/EPSRC funded projects, Integrated Carbon, Waste, Time and Cost Modelling for the Design of Low Impact Buildings. He managed the project successfully and brought his expertise in cost modelling, and carbon and waste estimating to the project. He is a regular external assessor for the proposals of Hong Kong Earmarked Research Grant (equivalent to EPSRC/ESRC grants in the UK) and a reviewer for a number of leading journals.
Cost planning, risk management and development appraisal
Research interests and consultancy expertise
Building economics, forecasting techniques, and risk management
Examples of recent projects
Cheung F K T (2005) 'Development and Testing of a Method for Forecasting Building Prices during the Early Design Stages: the Storey Enclosure Method Revisited', PhD thesis, School of Construction Management and Property, Queensland University of Technology
BIM-enabled Collaborative Platform for Innovative Low Impact School Procurement; Co-Investigator Technology Strategy Board; in collaboration with Willmott Dixon and Scape System Build Ltd. Total grant value £540k, April 13 – Feb. 16. Visit the project website.
Integrated Carbon, Waste, Time and Cost Modelling for the Design of Low Impact Buildings; Co-Investigator, Technology Strategy Board/Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council; in collaboration with Best Foot Forward Ltd., zedfactory Ltd, ItSoWorks Ltd. and Design Builder Software Ltd. Total grant value £375k, Feb. 10 – Feb. 12. Visit the projects YouTube channel and Website.
Examples of recent publications and conference papers
ABANDA, F., TAH, J. & CHEUNG, F. 2013. Mathematical modeling of embodied energy, greenhouse gases, waste, Time-Cost parameters of building projects: A Review. Building and Environment, 59, 23-37.
- CHEUNG, F. K., RIHAN, J., TAH, J., DUCE, D. & KURUL, E. 2012. Early stage multi-level cost estimation for schematic BIM models. Automation in Construction, 27, 67-77.
- KURUL, E., TAH, J. H. & CHEUNG, F. 2012. Does the UK built environment sector have the institutional capacity to deliver sustainable development? Architectural Engineering and Design Management, 8, 42-54.
- ABANDA, H., TAH, J., CHEUNG, F. & ZHOU, W. 2010. Measuring the embodied energy, waste, CO2 emissions, time and cost for building design and construction. Computing in Civil and Building Engineering, Proc., Int. Conf., Jun.
- ABANDA, H., TAH, J. H. M., CHEUNG, F. K. T. & ZHOU, W. 2010. Measuring the Embodied Energy, Waste and CO2 Emissions from Construction Activity: An Overview. The Proceedings of the International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering The University of Nottingham, UK.
- TAH, J., ZHOU, W., ABANDA, F. & CHEUNG, F. 2010. Towards a holistic modeling framework for embodied carbon and waste in the building lifecycle.
- ZHOU, W., TAH, J. H. M., ABANDA, H. & CHEUNG, F. K. T. 2010. Towards a holistic modeling framework for embodied carbon and waste in the building lifecycle. The Proceedings of the International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering. The University of Nottingham, UK.
- CHEUNG, F. K., WONG, M. W. & SKITMORE, M. 2008. A study of clients' and estimators' tolerance towards estimating errors. Construction Management and Economics, 26, 349-362.
- SKITMORE, M. & CHEUNG, F. K. 2007. Explorations in specifying construction price forecast loss functions. Construction Management and Economics, 25, 449-465.
- CHEUNG, F. K. & SKITMORE, M. 2006. Application of cross validation techniques for modelling construction costs during the very early design stage. Building and environment, 41, 1973-1990.
- CHEUNG, F. K. & SKITMORE, M. 2006. A modified storey enclosure model. Construction Management and Economics, 24, 391-405.
- CHEUNG, F. K. & SKITMORE, M. 2005. Refinement of Storey Enclosure Forecasting Method. Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- CHEUNG, F. K. T. & SKITMORE, M. 2005. Refinement of Storey Enclosure Forecasting Method. AACE International Transactions. New Orleans.
- CHEUNG, S. O., CHEUNG, F., YEUNG, D. & WONG, P. 2005. Enhancing contract knowledge of cost engineers through the web. Cost engineering, 47, 24-33.
- CHEUNG, F. K. T. & CHEUNG, S. O. 2003. Customers-Oriented Housing Development by Application of Quality Function Deployment Methodology. 7th Pacific Association of Quantity Surveyors Congress.
- AU-YEUNG, R., CHEUNG, S. O., SUEN, H. C. H. & CHEUNG, F. K. T. 2003. Case Based Reasoning Approach to Aid Dispute Resolution Process Selection. 7th Pacific Association of Quantity Surveyors Congress.
- CHEUNG, F. K. T., CHEUNG, S. O. & DREW, D. S. 2002. Value Optimization of Building Components in Design Process. Proceedings of First International Conference of Construction in the 21st Century. Miami, Florida.
- CHEUNG, F. K., KUEN, J. L. F. & SKITMORE, M. 2002. Multi-criteria evaluation model for the selection of architectural consultants. Construction Management & Economics, 20, 569-580.
- CHEUNG, S.-O., YEUNG, D. K., CHEUNG, F. K. & SUEN, H. C. 2002. A planning framework for conditions of contract for use in partnering projects.
- CHEUNG, S. O., L., Y. K., CHEUNG, K. T. & SUEN, C. H. 2002. A Planning Framework for Conditions of Contract for Use in Partnering Projects. Proceedings of the 18th ARCOM Conference. Northumbria University.
- CHEUNG, K. T. & CHEUNG, S. O. 2001. Cost Planning and Control in Hong Kong: Current Practice and the Future Directions. 2001 International Conference on Project Cost Management. Beijing, China.
- DREW, D. S. & CHEUNG, K. T. 1996. Market Share of Contractors according to Type and Size of Contract. CIB W65 International Symposium.