BA, BArch Hons(L'pool), Cert HEduc ARB
Reader in Sustainable Property
Research Associate - OISD:RELP
David has written extensively on many building-related environmental issues and is the co-author of The Green Guide to Specification with the Building Research Establishment (BRE), the fourth edition of which is due to be published later this year. The Green Guide was originally launched by the then Minister for Construction, Nick Raynsford MP, in September 1998, providing guidance on the environmental impact of building components and materials and forms part of BREEAM, published by BRE.
David has co-edited a special Property and the Environment edition of the journal Construction Management & Economics with Professor Anthony Lavers and has contributed to many other publications including Property Management, The Journal of Property Investment and Finance, Property Review and Facilities. He has advised and collaborated with a number of property organisations on green issues including the Housing Corporation, The National Archive, URS, DTZ, Milton Park MEPC, King Sturge and PruPIM. He is also a reviewer and academic referee for Blackwell Science and Construction Management and Economics and was a Visiting Research Scholar at the University of Oxford in 2002. He is a member of the International Working Commission on Sustainable Construction, CIB W-116.
BSc Real Estate & MSc Architecture & Real Estate programmes; Design and Construction; Building Costs, Economics and Contracts; Residential Property Development; Property & the Environment; MSc Architecture – Energy Efficient Buildings
Research Interests and consultancy expertise
Property and the Environment; environmentally responsible property development and management. Reducing the impact of buildings on the natural environment in terms of energy, waste production and use of resources.
Examples of recent projects
- Co-author of The Green Guide to Specification (4th Edition) – an Environmental Profiling System for construction materials – part of the BREEAM programme with The Building Research Establishment (On-line version launched June 2008. Hard copy version to be published winter 2008 by Blackwell Science).
- Member of the Urban Buzz advisory panel to the Greater London Authority on Planning Guidance programme on Sustainable Design (June 2008) (Urban Buzz Programme)
- Development of an ISO 14001 certified environmentally responsible property management system for Oxford Brookes University (with Rajat Gupta & Harriet Waters)
- Workshops and consultancy for DTZ on CSR and Sustainable property initiatives, Spring 2008
- Collaboration and consultancy advising The National Archive on CSR and ISO 14001 initiatives. Since June 2006
- Book reviews for Butterworth-Heinemann (1998, 2001), Blackwell Science (1999, 2000, 2002, 2005 and 2007)
- Academic Referee, Construction Management and Economics, 2001- present
- Collaboration and consultancy advising The National Archive on CSR and ISO 14001 initiatives. June 2006
- Collaboration and consultancy advising international engineering company URS, on CSR and ISO 14001 initiatives. June 2006
Recent publications and conference papers
Dixon, T. Colantonio, A. Shiers, D. (2008) 'A green profession?: A global survey of RICS members and their engagement with the sustainability agenda' accepted for publication for August 2008, Journal of Property Investment & Finance.
Shiers D.E. & Lavers A. (2007) 'Indicators of the impact of environmental factors on UK construction law: developments in the new millennium.' Construction Management & Economics, Vol 25, Number 7.
Shiers D.E., Rapson D. et al (2006) 'Sustainable Construction: the Development and Evaluation of an Environmental Profiling System', Construction Management & Economics, Vol 24, Numbers 10-12.
Rapson D., Shiers D. et al (2007) 'Socially Responsible Property Investment (SRPI): An analysis of the relationship between equities SRI and UK property investment activities' Journal of Property Investment & Finance, Vol 25, Number 4
Hamilton L., Shiers D., et al (2007) 'Creating environmental weightings for construction products' BRE Research Study 493; IHS/BRE & Hamilton L., Shiers D., et al (2007) 'Environmental weightings; their use in environmental assessment' Information Paper IP 4/07. IHS/BRE
Roberts, C., Rapson D., Shiers D. (2007) 'SRPI Definitions Practice Briefing Paper' Journal of Property Investment & Finance, Vol 25, Number 4
Anderson, J. Shiers, D. Steele, K. (2008) 'The Green Guide to Specification on-line' 4th Edition, Blackwell-Wiley & IHS, (280pp) bre.co.uk/greenguideonline (peer reviewed by international panel). Text edition to be published winter 2008.
Anderson, J. Shiers, D. Sinclair, M. (2001) 'The Green Guide to Specification' 3rd Edition, Blackwell Science, Oxford (98pp) (peer reviewed by BRE science panel)
Keeping M, Shiers D E, (2003) 'Sustainable Property Development – a guide to property and the environment', Blackwell Science, Oxford (pp174)