BSc (Hons), MSc (Reading), PGCert, MRICS, MCIOB, MAPM, FHEA
Senior Lecturer in Quantity Surveying
Before joining academia Damilola worked in the construction industry as a quantity surveyor and project manager both in the UK and abroad on varied projects from building construction to civil engineering work. Besides working for a construction consultancy practice and a property developer at different points in his professional career, he was also recently involved in a multi-million pound building and redevelopment project successfully completed by one of the UK’s largest contractors.
Previously he taught at Anglia Ruskin University in Chelmsford and before then at Northumbria University in Newcastle, where he was a core member of the Quantity Surveying teaching team and a founding member of the Construction Economics and Management Research Group. His teaching currently covers a broad range of construction and surveying modules. He also supervises students’ research in construction economics and management.
An alumnus of Reading University, Damilola is a recipient of many scholarly and industry awards including the CIOB Certificate of Excellence Award (won in 2009) and the British Science Association Award (won in 2012). In 2013, he was a finalist in the UK Building Research Establishment (BRE) Royal Charter International Research Award for talented constructors and industry professionals. Outside work he enjoys travelling, music and football.
To find out about our new MSc QSCM programme (RICS and CIOB Accredited), that is building on strong tradition of excellence in construction research and teaching, take a look at hardhatsatbrookes.blogspot.co.uk.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Member of The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS)
- Member of The Chartered Institute of Building (MCIOB)
- Member of The Association for Project Management (MAPM)
- Fellow of The Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
External activities (and affiliations)
- An RICS Assessment of Professional Competence counsellor
- External Examiner, University of Salford’s BSc (Hons) QS/ QS (Sri Lanka) programmes (2016-present)
- Member of the Executive Committee, West African Built Environment Research Conference (2012-present)
- Reviewer for Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction
- Reviewer for Australasian Journal of Construction Economics and Building
- Member of the Association of Researchers in Construction Management
- Member of the Construction Economics and Management Research Group
Selected publicationsRefereed journal papers
- Tan, A., Udeaja, C., Babatunde, S.O. and Ekundayo, D. (2017), ‘Sustainable development in a construction related curriculum – quantity surveying students’ perspective’, International Journal of Strategic Property Management, 21(1), 101-113, ISSN 1648-715X. To link to this article: http://dx.doi.org/10.3846/1648715X.2016.1246387
- Perera, S., Babatunde, S.O., Pearson, J. and Ekundayo, D. (2017), ‘Professional competency-based analysis of continuing tensions between education and training in higher education’, Higher Education, Skills and Work-Based Learning, 7(1), 92-111, ISSN 2042-3896. To link to this article:
- Perera, S., Babatunde, S.O., Zhou, L., Pearson, J. and Ekundayo, D. (2016), ‘Competency mapping framework for regulating professionally oriented degree programmes in higher education’, Studies in Higher Education. To link to this article: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2016.1143926
- Perera, S., Pearson, J., Ekundayo, D. and Zhou, L. (2013), ‘Professional, academic and industrial development needs: A competency mapping and expert opinion review’, International Journal of Strategic Property Management, 17(2), 143-160, ISSN 1648-715X
- Ekundayo, D., Jewell, C. and Awodele, O.A. (2013), ‘Executive project management structure and the challenges facing its adoption in the Nigerian construction industry', International Journal of Architecture, Engineering and Construction, 2(3), 158-169, ISSN 1911-110X
- Ogunsemi, D.R., Oyediran, O.S. and Ekundayo, D.O. (2008), 'Construction professionals and project management competencies in Nigeria', Journal of Construction, 1(2), 6-11, ISSN 1994-7402
- Udeaja, C., Ekundayo, D., Zhou, L., Pearson, J. and Perera, S. (2015), ‘Mapping sustainability in the quantity surveying curriculum: Educating tomorrow’s design economists’, Chapter 27, in Herbert Robinson, Barry Symonds, Barry Gilbertson and Benedict Ilozor edited Design economics for the built environment: Impact of sustainability on project evaluation, Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester.
- Udeaja, C., Ekundayo, D., Zhou, L. and Perera, S. (2013), ‘Material waste in the construction industry: A review of the legislative and supply chain issues’, Chapter 2, in Alan Richardson edited Reuse of materials and byproducts in construction: Green energy and technology, Springer, London, pp 5-27, ISBN 978-1-4471-5376-4.
- Chiurugwi, T., Udeaja, C., Babatunde, S.O. and Ekundayo, D. (2015), ‘Life cycle costing in construction projects: Professional quantity surveyors’ perspective’, Proceedings of the CIB Going North for Sustainability Conference, London South Bank University, London, UK, 23-25 November 2015, ISBN 978-1-326-47951-0.
- Perera, S., Pearson, J., Zhou, L., Ekundayo, D. and Fetais, A. (2013), ‘A competency mapping framework for programme appraisal and accreditation: the concept and its applications’, Proceedings of the RICS COBRA Research Conference, New Delhi, India, 10-12 September 2013, ISBN 978-1-78321-030-5.
- Ekundayo, D., Perera, S., Udeaja, C. and Zhou, L. (2012), ‘Carbon review and qualitative comparison of selected carbon counting tools’, Proceedings of the RICS COBRA Research Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada USA, 11-13 September 2012, ISBN 978-1-84219-840-7.
- Perera, S., Pearson, J., Zhou, L. and Ekundayo, D. (2012), ‘Developing a graduate competency mapping benchmark for quantity surveying competencies’, Proceedings of the RICS COBRA Research Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada USA, 11-13 September 2012, ISBN: 978-1-84219-840-7.
- Ekundayo, D., Perera, S., Udeaja, C. and Zhou, L. (2011), ‘Achieving economic and environmental sustainability through optimum balance of costs’, Proceedings of the 10th International Postgraduate Research Conference (IPGRC), School of the Built Environment (SoBE), University of Salford, UK, 14-15 September 2011, pp 673-684, ISBN 978-1-907842-17-7.
- Perera, S., Pearson, J., Robson, S. and Ekundayo, D. (2011), ‘Alignment of academic and industrial development needs for quantity surveyors: the views of industry and academia’, Proceedings of the RICS COBRA Research Conference, University of Salford, UK, 12-13 September 2011, pp 676-686.
- Ekundayo, D., Zhou, L., Udeaja, C., Pearson, J. and Perera, S. (2011), ‘Mapping of sustainability education to construction related curricula: a case study of quantity surveying degree programme’, Proceedings of the RICS COBRA Research Conference, University of Salford, UK, 12-13 September 2011, pp 698-707.
- Ibironke, O.T., Ekundayo, D. and Awodele, O.A. (2011), ‘A survey on the use and impact of information technology in quantity surveying service delivery in Nigeria’, Proceedings of the 27th Annual ARCOM Conference, University of the West of England, Bristol, UK, 5-7 September 2011, vol 1, pp 433-442.
- Perera, S., Pearson, J. and Ekundayo, D. (2011), ‘Mapping RICS quantity surveying competencies to curricula of RICS accredited programmes’, Proceedings of the 15th Pacific Association of Quantity Surveyors Congress, Colombo, Sri Lanka, 23-26 July 2011.
- Ekundayo, D., Perera, S., Udeaja, C. and Zhou, L. (2011), ‘Towards developing a monetary measure for sustainable building projects: an initial concept’, Proceedings of the ARCOM & LCI UK Doctoral Research Workshop, University of Northumbria at Newcastle, UK, 2nd March 2011.
- Ogunsemi, D.R., Oyediran, O.S., Rotimi, J.O.B. and Ekundayo, D. (2008), ‘Project management service delivery using competency analysis’, Proceedings of the International Conference on Project Management, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 18-20 November 2008, pp 43-51.
- Perera, S., Pearson, J., Zhou, L. and Ekundayo, D. (2013), ‘RICS professional competency mapping framework for programme appraisal and benchmarking’, RICS Research Trust Funded Report, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
- Perera, S., Zhou, L., Ekundayo, D., Ashworth, A. and Symonds, B. (2012), ‘How to educate quantity surveyors to meet future needs: Analysis of the delegate survey’, Council of Heads of the Built Environment (CHOBE) Project Report: Quantity Surveying workshop No 9, held at Birmingham City University, Birmingham, UK.